October 23, 2011
As the jack-o'-lantern, pumpkins have become one of the most easily identifiable symbols of Halloween. But how much do you really know about our favorite October fruit? Here are five fun facts about pumpkins from the University of Illinois.
- 1. The major pumpkin producing states in the United States are Illinois, Ohio, Pennsylvania and California
- 2. Those states are responsible for 1.1 billion pounds of pumpkin annually.
- 3. The pumpkin industry brought in about $141 million in 2008 alone.
- 4. Pumpkins are typically around 90 percent water.
- 5. They contain potassium and Vitamin A, their seeds and flowers are edible and they are often given to animals as feed.