Wholemeal Steam Bun
400g Pau flour, sifted (Note*)
100g wholemeal flour
1 tbsp. dry yeast
½ tsp salt
3 tbsp. Shortening
1 tbsp double action baking powder
Pau flour is low protein flour, if you can't find in your area, just use low protein flour or super fine flour and can also try cake flour to replace it.
1. Mix all the ingredients A together and knead into smooth and elastic dough.
2. Cover with a piece of wet cloth and leave to prove until double its size.
3. Sift B top of the dough and knead well to distribute the baking powder until the dough is smooth again.
4. Cover and allow dough to rest for 15 minutes before shaping.
Meat Fillings :
boiled eggs (shelled and cut into ½)
Marinade for meat : （30 minutes）
2 tbsp. BBQ sauce
1. Heat oil in a pan adds in marinated meat and stirs fry till aromatic, adds in some water and cooks for 5 minutes until soft. Taste and dish up and leave to cool and chill in the fridge for 3 hours.
2. Divide dough 12 portions and shape balls.
3. Flatten, roll into a round shape and add 1 tbsp of filling and pleat the top into a Pau/Bun.
4. Line Pau/Bun with a piece of white paper and let it prove again for another 15 minutes.
5. Steam Pau/Bun with high heat for about 15 minutes or until the Pau/Bun is cooked.
6. Serve hot.